Wednesday, May 08, 2013

The Blackdog

I always understood what Churchill meant when he referred to his bouts of depression as his "black dog". The Black Dog has a long history in British folklore as the harbinger of death and depression can certainly encompass those feelings. Despite a latin American variation the dogs are almost uniquely British in that seeing them invariably means death is coming. (The Latin American variety are mostly the Devil in disguise) that said, some were benevolent creatures, almost like guardian angels but that too would in some ways fit in with depression. Many famous, driven people have lived with depression and used it as a tool to spur them on.

Lately the dog has been trying to creep back up on me, given an inroad by circumstance. I need to figure out how to use it as a tool if I find myself unable to fend it off. "The dance of Lifey Death".
Sent from my BlackBerry smartphone from Virgin Media

No comments: