Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Coraline trailer



It's possibly something to do with my age but as much as I love all story based media, I find it impossible to keep up with allthe things that could be of interest to me. Which is why I was unaware that the wonderful Mr Henry Selick was making a stop motion movie of Neil Gaiman's "Coraline". This Youtube teaser trailer looks absolutely wonderful and, if nothing else, guarantees I'll buy the film on DVD when it's available. Selick worked on two of my three favourite stop motion movies of the last 25 years, the wonderful but underrated "James and the Giant Peach" and the equally wonderful but slightly over rated "Nightmare before Christmas". ( my third favourite is the recent and absolutely stunning version of "Peter and The Wolf"). Before computers took over, stop motion was the best way to create special effects monsters and the like and masters of stop motion like Ray Harryhausen and Willis O'Brien are still rightfully considered genius's in the Realm of special effects. In the world of feature films Selick is probably the only heir to these two men.

If you only check out one of Selick's films I'd recommend James and the Giant Peach, because his
rendition of Roald Dahl's world is very true, darker, more sinister and yet more positive than Tim Burton's very American Halloween/Christmas tale.

No comments: