Saturday, September 08, 2007

Life on Mars


I finally watched the last three episodes of Life on Mars (series 2) which definitely got a BBM1 rating. The series as a whole was absolutely superb and the lack of a really clear explanation at the end was probably the only way to go. Karen and I spent some time discussing what we thought happened. I plumped for John Carter of Mars style psychic time travel in the end. I think the coma freed Sam's psyche to travel back to 1973 where it took on a corporeal form, connected to and interacting with his "real" self in 2006. For me this explains how the hospital was abl to affect him in 1973 and means he is still alive and free in 1973, his anchor to our present now gone. But I am something of a romantic so I couldn't look at his return to 1973 as the last delusions of a dying man.

The show was a nostalgic, though not rose coloured, view back at the 70's with strong overtones of "The Sweeney" and "Get Carter". A show set in the past never captures the true reality of the period, only a nostalgic reflection of it seen through a slightly tarnished mirror. That said the setting of the show definitely hit a chord with me as someone who grew up during the 70's and it captured the brown and tan tones the decade had in my memories and anything British set outside London is a bonus still.

Life on Marswasagreat show that will bear up well under repeated viewings.

1 comment:

paulhd said...

Ah, Life on Mars, if the sequel is half as good it'll still be brilliant.
My own take is similar to yours, but I took my cue from Somewhere in Time. The greater reality and need of his life in the 70's was strong enough to make it happen.
But really, it doesn't matter. Suicidal fantacist or not, the end rang true emotionally and unbelievably actually felt like a positive step. Sam was dead in the present, so he took a literal leap of faith. There's no place like home, and Sam realised where his home really was.