Thursday, July 26, 2007

eight weeks

Eight weeks ago I had a hernia op and have been laid up at home, mostly, until this week. Coinciding with that AOL screwed up our connection again and we still aren't back on line. (I'm blogging from work)

Never believe that surgeons are warm, altruistic people who care deeply about their patients. If my recent experience is anything to go by, I've known butchers who take more care of the meat on their table.

I went in for day surgery for an inguinal hernia, very low down in the groin area. On the advice of nurses I pre-shaved myself, I'm a fairly hairy guy and apparently they dry shave youwhen your sedated. When I woke up they'd shaved even more of my abdomen, including a large square patch on my thigh, and beaten my body around so much that my left testicle was swollen to four times it's normal size, the muscle inside my left inner thigh was so battered I could barely stand and I had a six inch bright purple scar from open surgery instead of the tiny keyhole opening I was lead to expect.

Although I weas allowed to drive after the first week I couldn't with any comfort because getting out of the car left me in scrotal agony. The itching from the hair regrowth was maddening and my groin was either extremely painful where their was feeling and horribly numb, like an everlasting dental injection, everywhere else.

On top of that it wasn't until week seven that it occurred to any member of the medical profession to inform me I should be massaging the scar with baby oil to break down the scar tissue that was continuing to cause me great discomfort.

On the other hand I read a hell of a lot of books and many movies. More on that later.

1 comment:

paulhd said...

Oh gosh. Sorry to hear all this. I hope back to work means you're feeling better.
Best
p