Thursday, March 16, 2006

Fox tales

I've spent a number of years attempting to put the square peg that is me into an artistic round hole. It is only in recent times that I've begun to accept my nature. So today I'm home alone, I've got AOL's folk channel playing in the background ( a diverse selection from Johnny Cash and The Be Good Tanyas to Bob Dylan to Dave Carter and Kate Rusby) and I'm thinking about the nature of animals in folk tales, specifically foxes. In Eastern and African fok tales the nature of the beast is fluid, sometimes it is an animal, sometimes an animal with human characteristics, sometimes human, sometimes human with animal characteristics and flows from one nature to the next. So I'm writing, trying to apply that to a love story about a woman and a fox and bring in the European idea of the fox living on it's wits and sometimes outwitting itself.

Writing cartoon strips, I have a certain number of touchstones. Fox sees woman, fox falls in love. Not knowing how to woo a woman the fox simply offers her her hearts desire. He tries to outwit her by offering her what she wants in exchange for her heart. Does it work out for him? I'm not sure yet. It's my journey as much as his. Are my creative muscles ready for something like this?

No comments: