Sunday, January 29, 2006

Days of future past

Many women do not understand the obssesive nature of men. They do not understand that "Rainman" like quality that gives many men an inateunderstanding and appreciation of "the offside rule" or which bit part actor played the villain in one episode of the original "Dragnet". I am frequently reminded of this fact by comments from my wife. Last night for instance we sat down to watch an animated movie called "Perfect Blue". I had recently watched a number of the japanese animation movies from Studio Ghibli and she asked if this was another. Watching the credits role up I commented that I didn't know for sure but the film actually appeared to be Korean based on the names in the titles, which, of course, it was. Later that evening Sky were talking to Lasse Hallstrom about Abba music videos and I mentioned that he directed "My life as a dog", a movie we'd both enjoyed. Our relationship is filled with moments like that when I will suprise her with some snippet of media related trivia.

Few women her age and older, she's thirty, seem to develop that slavish devotion that lasts a liftime. A relatively small percentage carry on a devotion to Donny Osmond or David Cassidy or the like but they rarely store the mass of data a man dedicated to David Bowie or New Order would have at his fingertips.

I do notice more young girls and women developing this geek like nature though, women who can tell you the history and character growth of every cast member of "Buffy" by just pulling episode details from their heads, Anne Rice's vampire hoards, the growing number of women reading manga. I always thought women were better than us in that they could multitask and lacked this near deranged obsessive nature. Now I think that, soap operas aside, nothing had previously appeared that would engage them to that extreme.

Disclaimer. I am aware that there have been women out there for the last 30 years who have lived in the world of Star Trek and other internal worlds. My point remains that they were far out numbered by men who could explain the meaning of IDIC or the history of the federation.

No comments: